Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Closing of Galleries Across North America

It is not unknown news that art galleries across Canada and the United States are closing due to the economic recession.
I was aware of this fact when I began working at ArtPlus and I am even more aware of it now. The reality of this situation became most apparent to me when I visited a popular gallery in my home town only one hour from Belleville.
As I walked into the gallery, I was shocked to see the walls were bare and the space was essentially empty – except for two men photographing the blank walls and a tiny desk in the corner for the gallery manager.
When I inquired as to what was going on, I was provided with the information that the gallery itself was closing and would proceed to open as a “web-gallery”.
By following the closing of their gallery with the opening of a "web-gallery" it is my assumption that this gallery sincerely hopes to hold the interest of their clients and the business with their artists - I wish them the best of luck.

Going online is a very cost-effective way of selling art, but I am afraid the effect and the power of the pieces being sold might not be there.
But for many of the galleries trying to stay open in this recession, going online may be one of their only options.
As I was researching the effect this recession is having on art galleries, I came across an article that suggested “strategies” for commercial galleries.
The article's first suggestion for galleries was closing, while "moving" (shifting the gallery to a less expensive building or city) came in second, and going online was a close follower.
Either way, this is not an easy time for art-dealers anywhere.

It is my belief that to spend a little helps the economy a lot. It pains me to see one of my favorite galleries going out of business, and it would hurt me to see Gallery ArtPlus affected in any similar way. So I urge the public to visit the galleries and keep the interest alive.
Galleries often have pieces for sale that are budget-friendly. On top of that, nothing beats a one-of-a-kind, handmade gift of piece of decor for your home.
Sometimes shopping in retail outlets runs in the same price range as shopping at galleries in your neighborhood.

As I have said before. At ArtPlus we have a gift shop full of hand-made jewlery, hand made pottery and blown glass sculptures. All at reasonable prices.

I think in this recession we have to remember the arts and that buying art is essentially an investment.

No comments:

Post a Comment